AÇAÍ
{ass-a-i}

WAS GENAU IST AÇAÍ?

Açaí, which resembles a blueberry, is the fruit of the açaí palm and belongs to the palm family. The seed takes up about 90% of the berry. The remaining 10% of valuable pulp (fruit flesh) and skin provide plenty of vitamins and other nutrients.
Initially, the berries are green. Once they are ripe, they take on a dark purple color and are ready to be harvested.

WOHER KOMMT DAS AÇAÍ?

The Açaí berry can only be found in the Amazon. For centuries, it has been used as food by the indigenous people of the Brazilian rainforest who first noticed its healing and vitalizing effects.

WIE WÄCHST AÇAÍ?

Açaí doesn't grow on bushes like other berries, but high up on palm trees which grow all over the forest.
There are no monocultures or plantations. Only 7% of the palm trees have been planted, the rest grow naturally.
The preservation of the açaí palms therefore provides a positive benefit for the entire Amazon rainforest.
WIE WIRD AÇAÍ GEERNTET?

 

To this day, açaí is harvested in the traditional way by local farming families in Brazil. The workers climb up the palm trees and pick the ripe perennials with the berries which are then collected in plaited buckets.
Since açaí is highly perishable, it is processed within 24 hours and then consumed traditionally in the form of purée.